1993-05-25 - Noise on the list

Header Data

From: Marc Horowitz <marc@GZA.COM>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3ae7496722b25518834f110aba06da2cb41872c2799e503f5b48f60fa6126fec
Message ID: <9305251613.AA04301@dun-dun-noodles.aktis.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 25 May 93 09:13:33 PDT

Raw message

From: Marc Horowitz <marc@GZA.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 09:13:33 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Noise on the list

Would it be incorrect to say that people flailing randomly on the list
trying to invent the next great encryption scheme is both a waste of
bandwidth, and inappropriate to the list?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I see cypherpunks as a
gathering of people trying to encourage privacy via technology.  As
such, technical discussions of how to implement a remailer would be
appropriate, but it seems that garbage about how to make MacBeth
decrypt into your plaintext should be reserved for sci.crypt.flame.
There's also a lot of other inappropriate traffic, like the recent
"espionage" thread.  Save it for talk.bizarre.

Should I crawl back into my hole, or am I not the only one who thinks
that a lot of the random spewage on the list is just that?

(flame off)

I think this is a valuable list.  I like being on it, most of the
time.  But we've already seen many people remove themselves because
they were drowning in email.  Can we please try to keep the messages
appropriate, and the signal-to-noise ratio high?

		Marc

Thread