1993-05-22 - Godelization, sf, etc. (was: Re: cypto + compression)

Header Data

From: zimm@alumni.cco.caltech.edu (Mark Edward Zimmerman)
To: peb@procase.com
Message Hash: 498948a15f66c86c08ead62183b0a0cb9d553f8be95b12aaa10a8a430b624ded
Message ID: <9305220125.AA26590@alumni.cco.caltech.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 21 May 93 18:26:06 PDT

Raw message

From: zimm@alumni.cco.caltech.edu (Mark Edward Zimmerman)
Date: Fri, 21 May 93 18:26:06 PDT
To: peb@procase.com
Subject: Godelization, sf, etc. (was: Re: cypto + compression)

the sf story that you're alluding to is, I believe, Fred Pohl's "Gold
at the Starbow's End" --- a cover story in ANALOG magazine ca. 1968
--- which I remember fondly precisely because of the idea used which
you mention, namely, encoding a big message compactly as the sum of
various powers of small numbers ...  though the author got it pretty
badly wrong, as I pointed out in a letter published some months later
in the same magazine --- the sum of powers that he gave in the story
was *much* too small to hold a significant amount of information, and
(worse) he thought that one couldn't get any of the answer without
writing the entire number --- obviously wrong, as a little modular
arithmetic can get out the powers quite easily....  but it's a nice
idea and the story was quite good otherwise.... :-) ^z

Thread