1993-05-07 - ITAR info

Header Data

From: fergp@sytex.com (Paul Ferguson)
To: mnemonic@eff.com
Message Hash: 795107745e698c3a063d3d807812c878c7b93bc4387acbc514a4179cb2a19afe
Message ID: <aXq63B1w165w@sytex.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 6 May 93 19:47:12 PDT

Raw message

From: fergp@sytex.com (Paul Ferguson)
Date: Thu, 6 May 93 19:47:12 PDT
To: mnemonic@eff.com
Subject: ITAR info

 Mike Godwin <uunet!eff.org!mnemonic> writes -

> The best person on the Net to ask about the ITARs is, IMHO,
> Lee Tien, the lawyer handling John Gilmore's cryptography-related
> litigation. Lee can be reached at tien@well.sf.ca.us.

 Mr. Tien,

 I have bothered Mike Godwin and Shari Steele to the point of no
 return in legalese. (Blame them for pointing me in your direction.)
 Actually, I'm quite curious of the ITAR restrictions of cryptologic
 software/hardware legislation currently on the books and the chances
 of it being scaled back in light of the current "Clipper" fiasco. I'm
 well aware of the legal provisions within USC Title 18, and the ECPA
 but have no idea of additional transcripts that exist that the Dept.
 of State which have been circumscribed to regulate and tariff.

 Would you be so kind as to enlighten me (us) of the ITAR stuff that
 many of us have heard so much about? I know Phil Zimmerman has made
 limited mention of ITAR restrictions, so I think that we need to
 first lift the veil of ignorance.

 Thanks for your anticipated response.

 Cheers.

Paul Ferguson                  |  Uncle Sam wants to read
Network Integrator             |       your e-mail...
Centreville, Virginia USA      | Just say "NO" to the Clipper
fergp@sytex.com                |          Chip...
         I love my country, but I fear it's government.

Thread