1993-05-25 - Re: License plates

Header Data

From: RYAN Alan Porter <ryan@rtfm.mlb.fl.us>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a6d3699ad4f1310d20a2658f0d9fcf0ce419042c5753c988a6e3bd218ffe53a3
Message ID: <Pine.3.03.9305251501.A29356-b100000@rtfm>
Reply To: <9305251854.AA01809@media.Corp.Sun.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-25 20:16:55 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 May 93 13:16:55 PDT

Raw message

From: RYAN Alan Porter <ryan@rtfm.mlb.fl.us>
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 13:16:55 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: License plates

On Tue, 25 May 1993, Doug Brightwell wrote:

> > My understanding is that in many states, the Department of Motor Vehicles Records
> > indexed on license plate number, and containing the name, address, and other
> > information about the owner, is public or semi-public.  How would an interested
> > party go about finding this information?  How difficult or costly is it?  And
> > what all is actually listed in the record?
>
> Several weeks following a car accident that I was involved in, I
> received a notice from the California DMV notifying me that someone had
> filed a request for the information on my vehicle registration. From
> the name and address on the notice, I figured out that it was the other
> driver's attorney, probably wanting to know where to send a subpoena.
> Apparently, anyone can walk into a DMV office, fill out a form, pay
> $1.00 (or whatever) and get the info because it's public record.
> However, at least the DMV also alerts the "investigatee" to the fact
> that someone now has their home address, and provides the name and
> address of the requestor.

Here in Florida, the information is supposed to be confidential.  Operation
Rescue (a group of fanatical Christians intent on harassing abortion clinics
and patients) has an employee in the DMV who snatches the number somehow,
however.  They now sit around in front of the clinics and jot down the
license numbers of patients and use their inside contact to find the name
and address of the patient and harass them.

ObRelation2Cypherpunks:  We are now trying to justify using the computer
privacy laws to prosecute specifically for the fact that the records are
being held electronically and Operation Rescue is illegally obtaining this
information and not going through proper channels.

Hugs and kisses,
    -Ryan
the barcode guy

Thread