1993-05-01 - Re: validity of the RSA patent

Header Data

From: markh@wimsey.bc.ca (Mark C. Henderson)
To: Eli Brandt <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b771df5ee2582f97f8f7cf8dec79aeb70dd4ed5b70b97c755cb376acbf46dc1c
Message ID: <m0npMho-0001MsC@van-bc.wimsey.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 1 May 93 11:56:15 PDT

Raw message

From: markh@wimsey.bc.ca (Mark C. Henderson)
Date: Sat, 1 May 93 11:56:15 PDT
To: Eli Brandt <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: validity of the RSA patent

> > Consider use of another public key encryption scheme, say LUC encryption.
>
> Which, of course, is patent-pending.  It appears that we can no more
> make progress in cryptography in the face of algorithm patents than
> we could advance mathematics under the burden of theorem licensing.
> We can't afford to wait until 2001.

On the other hand, perhaps the patent holder of LUC would be willing
to licence LUC for use in a PGP-like tool (or PGP 3.0) on the same basis
IDEA is now licenced to PGP users. (i.e. non-commerical use is OK. Even
certain commercial use is OK.)

This might solve a lot of our problems.

Has anybody asked? I can't be the first person to have considered
asking.

Mark

--
Mark Henderson