1993-05-24 - Re: The New Mykotronix phones…

Header Data

From: cp@jido.b30.ingr.com (Serrzna Penvt Cerffba)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: be30b029cce66d59beaf25304ee681ffb1a6e6c9d96667a878d7272e522972f9
Message ID: <199305241918.AA19188@jido.b30.ingr.com>
Reply To: <9305231707.AA12544@IMSI.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-24 19:20:01 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 24 May 93 12:20:01 PDT

Raw message

From: cp@jido.b30.ingr.com (Serrzna Penvt Cerffba)
Date: Mon, 24 May 93 12:20:01 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The New Mykotronix phones...

In <9305231707.AA12544@IMSI.COM>, Jordan Hayes writes:
|> 	From mbriceno@aol.com Sat May 22 03:56:25 1993
|>
|> 	If everybody would be armend, we would no longer look at the
|> 	government as the sole provider of protectios from violent
|> 	crimes, rape, or muggings.
|>
|> I'm sure lots of people could give examples of areas where "everyone"
|> *is* armed, and while they certainly don't rely on "the government"
|> (i.e., local police forces) for protection, most would agree the
|> situation is not desirable ...

"Most would agree"? What a silly statement. You're in a big virtual
room with lots of different people, but a lot of them are "card-carrying"
libertarians who most certainly don't agree with that.

However, Marc also said, "I am glad that someone is finally mentioning
[the parallel between crypto and arms]." which is vacuous in light of
the _endless_ discussion on this very point on Usenet (sci.crypt and
elsewhere) in the beginnings of the wiretap chip flap.

Which leads me to my main point: please take this off-list before it
turns into the same flamewar that currently rages on
talk.politics.guns and for whatever weird reason, sci.skeptic.
        ^
       /
------/---- cp@jido.b30.ingr.com (Freeman Craig Presson)
     /
    /
Gun Control: The belief that the government, with its great wisdom and
  moral superiority, can be trusted with a monopoly on deadly force.
     -- Clayton E. Cramer

Thread