1993-05-31 - Crypto anarchy in a VW? (not the bug)

Header Data

From: poier@sfu.ca (Skye Merlin Poier)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d32143b99715176424d3accf44ab35fe3db85b41fee9480d0fc62eafb6af1a83
Message ID: <9305312244.AA20903@malibu.sfu.ca>
Raw Date: Mon, 31 May 93 15:06:43 PDT

Raw message

From: poier@sfu.ca (Skye Merlin Poier)
Date: Mon, 31 May 93 15:06:43 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto anarchy in a VW? (not the bug)

Has there been any discussion of anonimity / crypto anarchy in a virtual world
such as the ones described in _Snow Crash_ or _Neuromancer_? When the nets to
support these technologies come into place (and I have no doubt that they will),
perhaps a form of anonimity could be written into the architechture, instead of
having to add it on later as is the case now.... I would certainly be very
interesting, especially with the work being done on creating alternate personas
(or avatars, whatever).

Also, a while back someone mentioned in passing buried cables.. this stirred up
an old idea I had about server anonimity, that is that the actual physical
location of a server would be very difficult to pin down... the only way to do
this with any real degree of security would be to bounce signals off a satellite
but this would be rather costly...

Skye
--
-----====> Skye Merlin Poier <====-----
Undergrad in CMPT/MATH (Virtual Reality)       ||||      ||||

Thread