1993-05-12 - Re: The Halting Problem

Header Data

From: Brian.Hawthorne@East.Sun.COM (Brian Holt Hawthorne - SunSelect Engineering)
To: peb@PROCASE.COM
Message Hash: e504cbc731fb73e447a1ada6a86b886987d5becdff40fc72af4d9043c6babfbe
Message ID: <9305122045.AA01782@sea.East.Sun.COM>
Raw Date: Wed, 12 May 93 13:48:44 PDT

Raw message

From: Brian.Hawthorne@East.Sun.COM (Brian Holt Hawthorne - SunSelect Engineering)
Date: Wed, 12 May 93 13:48:44 PDT
To: peb@PROCASE.COM
Subject: Re: The Halting Problem

> The revelation here
> (for me, anyway) is that if arbitrary crypto were made illegal, the
> burden of proof would be on the prosecution which would have to crack
> the message (at least partially).

I believe the burden would actually be on them to crack the message
entirely. Otherwise, you are applying arbitrary algorithms to what may
be a random stream. If you get something comprehensible out, you have
either partially cracked the message, or run into the British Museum
problem (AKA 100 monkeys with typewriters).

Thread