1993-05-19 - Re: BBSs under fire! (or on fire, if BATF gets into the act!)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: smb@research.att.com
Message Hash: eae7b908125d44eba6165ee8ec7dd7ff6a8e0cd57ac467b58663beab95bd3b37
Message ID: <9305191944.AA05533@snark.shearson.com>
Reply To: <9305191933.AA09988@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-19 19:44:55 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 May 93 12:44:55 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 93 12:44:55 PDT
To: smb@research.att.com
Subject: Re: BBSs under fire! (or on fire, if BATF gets into the act!)

smb@research.att.com says:
> 	 >> Now, maybe I missed something, but I have yet to see the secret ser
> 	vice raid
> 	 >> ftparchive.blah.edu, or UNM where I work, for 'pandering'.
>
> 	 You missed it.  It has happened.  MIT used to run an alt.sex.bondage
> 	 stories server.  Someone would read a.s.b., cull out the stories and
> 	 make them available for anonymous ftp.
>
> It's happening again, even as we speak.  The UNC public access system
> is being criticized by the local Fox TV station for providing access to
> ``pornography'' to kids.

Rupert Murdoch rides again -- hypocritical yellow journalism at its
finest. I imagine the Fox folks would never dream of criticizing the
Page 3 girls in all of Murdoch's UK papers -- which, after all, any
kid can paruse at will.

Perry

Thread