1993-06-04 - Re: Term software dev

Header Data

From: Doug Porter <76244.315@CompuServe.COM>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 10ac28e9d9358a61819d7444c0b2b602392fb2d81cad723490c98537737d8990
Message ID: <93060411024376244.315_CHN40-3@CompuServe.COM>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1993-06-04 11:05:33 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 04:05:33 PDT

Raw message

From: Doug Porter <76244.315@CompuServe.COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 04:05:33 PDT
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Term software dev

Eric Hughes asks:

> What are NASI/NCSI?  Does it cost to use them?  Is source
available?

It's an API originally developed by Network Products Corporation
and based on an earlier spec from Ungerman-Bass. NPC used it in
building an async comm server for LANs. NPC called the API
"Network Communications Server Interface" or NCSI. Novell
licensed the technology from NPC and renamed the API to "Novell
Asynchronous Server Interface" or NASI. Other async server
vendors picked up on it about then as a result of Novell's
evangelism. Serial communications software packages from
Crosstalk to Procomm to tiny niche products started to support
it. Then because of the end user package support, the standard
was used for different kinds of serial connections. For example,
we (CyberCorp) built a NASI/NCSI interface for intelligent
Digiboards a while back.

I've never heard of anyone being charged to use the spec for
whatever they like. At least part of the spec, the part promoted
by Ungerman-Bass, seems to be in the public domain. We
originally got the spec from Novell when we built a Netware
compatible async server. I don't know of any free source code,
but code for either end of the spec is only one or two thousand
lines of C.

Doug

Thread