1993-06-10 - Re: McCarthy lives!

Header Data

From: Brian.Hawthorne@East.Sun.COM (Brian Holt Hawthorne - SunSelect Engineering)
To: huntting@glarp.com
Message Hash: 2d8ba1cbbe8187d9df4c0dce584badf1c4429926b30966d661d73c0fda01291c
Message ID: <9306102141.AA09055@sea.East.Sun.COM>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Jun 93 14:46:49 PDT

Raw message

From: Brian.Hawthorne@East.Sun.COM (Brian Holt Hawthorne - SunSelect Engineering)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 93 14:46:49 PDT
To: huntting@glarp.com
Subject: Re: McCarthy lives!

----------

> > Tim, I'll be glad to teach you how to file a Privacy Act request.
> > It's pretty simple, and it works on all Federal agencies.  You get
> > all records they are keeping on you, with some limited exceptions --
> > and for almost all of those, you get notified of the withholding.
> > If you can identify one or a small number of agencies that might
> > be keeping this "list", we can see if you are on it.  And if we
> > find the list, we can probably get the whole thing under the Freedom
> > of Information Act.
>
> I'd be very interested in hearing more on this...

Freedom of Information Act and Privacy Act apply only to
federal agencies.

Privacy Act
Requests for personal data must be notarized.
If the agency ignores the request, you must appeal under FOIA, since
there are no appeal provisions under the Privacy Act.

You must specify the "Systems of Records" you want searched. These are
listed in the Federal Register and in "Protecting Your Right to Privacy--A Digest of Systems of Records, which you can get from the GPO). I've included the
ones you probably would want with the FBI or CIA.

You must pre-authorize a dollar amount for search and copying costs.

Attached are some sample letters for the FBI, the CIA and general
Privacy Act/FOIA.

FOIA requests can be more general, I've got info on that as well.

I am not a lawyer, and this is not intended as legal advice. The info
is out of a wonderful book:

	Biggs, Don.
	How to avoid laywers.

	Includes index.
	1. Forms (Law)--United States. I. Title.
	KF170.B47  1984   347.73'55   84-18636
	ISBN 0-8240-7285-5   347.30755
	ISBN 0-8240-7284-7 (pbk.)

	Garland Publishing, Inc.
	136 Madison Ave.
	New York, NY 10016

It is a bit out of date (1985), but I believe the Privacy Act and FOIA
is still pretty much the same. It has extensive instructions for what
to actually do and what the pitfalls are.
----------

DATE

ADDRESS

This is a request under provisions of Title 5 USC, Sec. 552, the
Freedom of Information Act, and Title 5 USC, Sec. 552a, the Privacy
Act.

Please furnish me with copies of all records on me retrievable by the
use of an individual identifier and by the use of any combination of
identifiers (e.g., name + date of birth + social security number,
etc.) that are contained in the following systems of records:

In order to identify myself and to facilitate your search of records
systems, I provide the following information:

Last Name		First		Middle

Street				City	State	Zip Code

Date of Birth	Place of Birth	Sex	Social Security

Other information

In the event that any part or all of my records are withheld, I
request a complete list of all records being withheld and the
specific exemption being claimed for the withholding of each.

In the event that search and copyinng fees are estimated to exceed
$ _________, I request an opportunity to review such records, or to
have a duly authorized representative review such records, in order
to select those to be copied.

If you have an questions regarding this request, please telephone me
at ________________ weekdays between _________ and ____________ or
write to me at the above address.

As provided for by Sec. 552(a)(6)(i) of the Freedom of Information
Act, I shall expect to receive a reply within ten (10) business days.

Sincerely,

__________________

	CERTIFICATE OF NOTARY

STATE OF			)
				)   ss:
COUNTY OF			)

On this _______  day of _________, 19___, before me personally came

and appeared _____________________________, known, and known to me,
to be the individual described in and who executed the foregoing
instrument, and who duly acknowledged to me that he/she executed same
for the purpose therein contained.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I hereunto set my hand and official seal.

			    ________________________________
				    Notary Public

My commission expires: _____________________
----------

DATE

Director
Federal Bureau of Investigation
J. Edgar Hoover Building
10th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20535

Attn: FOIA/Privacy Act Branch

This is a request under provisions of Title 5 USC, Sec. 552, the
Freedom of Information Act, and Title 5 USC, Sec. 552a, the Privacy
Act.

Please furnish me with copies of all records on me retrievable by the
use of an individual identifier and by the use of any combination of
identifiers (e.g., name + date of birth + social security number,
etc.) that are contained in the following systems of records:

	National Crime Information Center (NCIC)
	Central Records System
	Electronic Surveillance (Eisur) Indices

In order to identify myself and to facilitate your search of records
systems, I provide the following information:

Last Name		First		Middle

Street				City	State	Zip Code

Date of Birth	Place of Birth	Sex	Social Security

[...]

Date of Birth	Place of Birth	Sex	Social Security

[...]