1993-06-25 - Re: a new role for the NSA

Header Data

From: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
To: Peter Wayner <pcw@access.digex.net>
Message Hash: 436722d81dcccf5350c40b7fc454b18df3811e0921aaa7c4a7580a8d6f147dc7
Message ID: <199306250326.AA01446@misc.glarp.com>
Reply To: <199306241253.AA00313@access.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1993-06-25 03:26:37 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 20:26:37 PDT

Raw message

From: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 20:26:37 PDT
To: Peter Wayner <pcw@access.digex.net>
Subject: Re: a new role for the NSA

> If I was in charge of the NSA, I would argue to my budget-dispensing
> superiors that all of the strong crypto just meant that I needed
> a bigger budget to scan for data.

Indeed, the NSA's opposition to crypto (be it bad standards or
arcane export regulations) has one clear intent:  to keep down the
cost of wiretaping.

Wiretaping makes it easier for "law enforcement" to identify and
take action against undesirable elements.  Be it communists,
environmentalists, unsanctioned drug dealers, civil rights activists,
union leaders, guerila heating engineers, or just some poor bloke
who blew the whistle on the wrong multinational; wiretaping
facilitates not only finding them and finding what to charge them
with.

brad

Thread