1993-06-28 - My Thesis Presentation… CHARON…

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 524c02a3d916fcdce536e31566e6a703636e28297e97ec09ac9c1cd11fcc51ec
Message ID: <9306282257.AA06812@toxicwaste.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Jun 93 16:03:06 PDT

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 93 16:03:06 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: My Thesis Presentation... CHARON...

You are invited to attend my Thesis Presentation, entitled "Charon:
Kerberos Extensions For Authentication Over Secondary Networks"

Date: 	Wednesday, June 30, 1993
Time: 	12:30 - 2pm
Place: 	MIT Room E40-382
	(1 Amherst, Cambridge)

You can pick up a PostScript copy of my Thesis either on Athena:
	attach warlord; cd /mit/warlord/Thesis/Thesis; more thesis.ps

or via anonymous ftp to
	toxicwaste.mit.edu:/pub/charon/thesis.ps.Z

Hope to see you there.  Please forward this as you see fit.

-derek

			Abstract

In this thesis, I describe extensions to the Kerberos Authentication
System to enable a secure method of Authentication over multiple
networks.  Kerberos was designed with a fully-connected IP network in
mind, however when you add dialup capabilities to the picture,
Kerberos doesn't expand to secure the whole connection.

Charon was created to tackle this problem.  It was developed to
provide a way to securely authenticate to a login server over a modem
connection, without allowing a passive attacker to gain enough
information to impersonate the user.  This means that a user can log
into a Kerberized host without typing his password in clear-text over
the phone.  In addition, no modifications to the login server's base
operating system need to be made in order to accomplish this.

Thread