1993-06-28 - Re: triggerfish

Header Data

From: pat@tstc.edu (Patrick E. Hykkonen)
To: hkhenson@cup.portal.com
Message Hash: 8020b5c88976fe8840ddd1ce6e154e1d0dfa01e46878f4866c37780535db3791
Message ID: <9306281338.AA27091@tstc.edu>
Reply To: <9306251518.1.29858@cup.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-06-28 13:39:17 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Jun 93 06:39:17 PDT

Raw message

From: pat@tstc.edu (Patrick E. Hykkonen)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 93 06:39:17 PDT
To: hkhenson@cup.portal.com
Subject: Re: triggerfish

> >  It would be child's play for the NSA to accomplish this from
> >orbit.....hmmmmm I wonder what they call it?
>
> On the other hand, with enough directionality . . . . nah, the
> antenna would be a monster.

Actually, no it wouldn't.  A yagi antenna at 800 Mhz is not very large
at all.  A 16 element at that frequency would probably be less than 5
feet long.  Beans for a satellite to carry into orbit today.  Of
course the problem then is the beam will provide a fairly wide "spot"
on the surface of the Earth that will still cover several cell sites.
Although come to think of it, narrowed to area to adjacent sites
you'll not have to contend with hearing two sites on the same
frequency due to coordination.

--
Pat Hykkonen, N5NPL                     Texas State Technical College at Waco
Internet: {pat,postmaster,root}@tstc.edu       Instructional Network Services

Thread