1993-06-12 - Mail logging

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu
Message Hash: 893757d5ff728ea1a6d3bdf76b33cdccf6ab580dfda968067a10bd0c641552f1
Message ID: <9306120057.AA09590@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <9306120001.AA09108@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-06-12 01:00:51 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Jun 93 18:00:51 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 93 18:00:51 PDT
To: newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu
Subject: Mail logging

>> >It's got complete traffic analysis data, complete with
>> >to/from pairs, time of day, and message size.

>The goal of this list is not to turn off such "features" but to
>provide security in the face of these features, in hostile environments,
>environments not totally under our own control.

Well said.

If you externally observe a remailer, there are three basic items to
correlate incoming to outgoing with: body content, body length, and
redelivery latency.  Notice that items two and three are provided by
the mail logs on my machine.  A remailer which is a mix needs to
confuse all three.

The first, content, requires an encryption or decryption operation.
The second, length, requires length quantization and therefore padding
and packeting.  The last, latency, is only solved by random delays if
the traffic through the node stays above a certain threshold.  The
real important characteristic with latency is reordering the incoming
and outgoing messages.  The simplest way to do this is to accumulate N
messages, create a random permutation on N elements, and mail the
messages out in the permuted order.

The single most basic problem with mail development that we have is
that we don't have enough mail volume through the remailers we have in
order to be able to experiment with better systems.  In particular, we
need to examine other reordering algorithms for the case where volume
is low and delivery latencies would be too high with the simple
gather-and-permute algorithm.

Eric

Thread