1993-06-04 - THANKS: pgp, mh, .forward

Header Data

From: Karl Barrus <elee9sf@Menudo.UH.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b00cda4cf8689decfce654fdf203620ba0eb8245b06723995149ad0d85b6c954
Message ID: <199306041431.AA22111@Menudo.UH.EDU>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 07:31:51 PDT

Raw message

From: Karl Barrus <elee9sf@Menudo.UH.EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 93 07:31:51 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: THANKS: pgp, mh, .forward

Thanks Hal, Stanton, Miron - I finally got it to work, on the menudo
side, not the NeXT.

I don't know what the deal is with the NeXT; 'cat .plan | myscript'
worked (myscript had all the necessary stuff) but having this .forward
file didn't: "|/bigpath/barrus/myscript"

But, I got it to work from menudo with this in my .maildelivery file:

to "barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu" | A "PGPPATH=/fajitas/elee9sf/Crypto/pgp22 /fajitas/elee9sf/bin/pgp -fea barrus | /usr/lib/mh/rcvstore +fromnext"

Mail sent to barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu gets piped through pgp, encrypted,
and then stored in the mail folder 'fromnext'.  The PGPPATH did seem
to be the missing factor!

Now, for those who wonder why in the world I'd want to do this... I've
been involved in a quasi-flame session on USENET (in comp.admin.policy
and other cross-posted groups) concerning a student who was suspended
here.  My posts became more and more sarcastic, and as I was
contemplating sending out a post which may have been on the edge, and
not wanting to make the sh*tlist here - or get higher up on it :-) - I
was going to route it through penet from my tree account.  But then
menudo, since I have my mail forwarded.  Now I'm not suggesting that
the admins here are watching my mail, but it wouldn't be difficult for
the admins to do some traffic analysis (crypto sophistication!),
noting that Karl's mail file grows coincident in time and size to
get the encryption going on the NeXT side, but this solution is good
enough for me.  Final note: I forgot penet is restricting posts for
the time being, but in any event this system is working.)

| Karl L. Barrus                    |
| elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu             | <- preferred address
| barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu (NeXTMail) |

Thread