1993-06-09 - Re: CERT

Header Data

From: Clark Reynard <clark@metal.psu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c3e5607805d4371fe577fef618dbed51f383a01220c043a67ce3c2e5d431d4e5
Message ID: <9306091318.AA00472@metal.psu.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 05:42:19 PDT

Raw message

From: Clark Reynard <clark@metal.psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 05:42:19 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CERT

Marc Horowitz <marc@GZA.COM> writes:

>>> From: Clark Reynard <clark@metal.psu.edu>
>> Excepting the Morris Worm, can you name a SINGLE Computer Emergency
>> which CERT has halted?  It is simply an organization to keep the
>> crypto-fascists wired into the net.

>My experience with them in the past has been as a clearinghouse for
>users to report security-related bugs to vendors, and for vendors to
>provide fixed back to users.  They've done an admirable job at this;
>the major complaint is that they are too slow.  They also help
>distribute tools like COPS to validate unix workstation security.

Granted.  However, as you say, they are terribly slow and inefficient
even at this.  While I read CERT adisories and clippings, it is rare
that I discover anything which could be called 'news.'

>They are a proactive organization, not a reactive organization, so
>it's meaningless to ask what "Computer Emergencies" CERT has "halted".

Perhaps, then, their name is inappropriate.  The term "Computer" seems
to imply they are involved with computers.  This is true.  However,
"Emergency," when modified by "Computer," seems to indicate that they
are involved in some way with "Computer Emergencies," whatever this
means.  When combined with "Response," the previous terms seem to imply
that they are intended to "Respond" to "Computer Emergencies," which,
as you say, they don't do.  They ought to change their name, or find
some computer emergencies to which to respond.

>I think that calling them "crypto-fascists" is at best an unsupported
>smear, and at worst slanderous.

A quibble:  I believe you mean 'libellous.'  They are crypto-fascists;
that is to say, they are 'hidden' fascists.  (However, I'll grant that
calling them fascists is probably not productive, however amusing it
may be.)

[Peter Honeyman's comments deleted.]

>I agree with Peter.  If CERT is beginning to overstep its bounds.
>perhaps someone should make a calm, rational complaint.

I shall do so.  Don't worry, I won't call them crypto-fascists.  I
shall forward it when I send it.
----
Robert W. F. Clark               Stop the Clipper Chip
rclark@nyx.cs.du.edu             Proposal!
clark@metal.psu.edu

Thread