1993-06-02 - Re: Software infrastructure

Header Data

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
To: nobody@soda.berkeley.edu
Message Hash: cab467afbc7af925e3efa70a9c475577978dddacf5a5412a6625520575becaa8
Message ID: <9306020738.AA29392@triton.unm.edu>
Reply To: <9306020704.AA01148@soda.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-06-02 07:01:22 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 00:01:22 PDT

Raw message

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 00:01:22 PDT
To: nobody@soda.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: Software infrastructure

> Subject: Software infrastructure

...other good stuff deleted...I read mail at 2400B.

> The result would be that when you receive an encrypted message, you
> just list it out to your terminal and then, automatically, PGP fires up
> and asks you for your pass phrase (unless you SET it ahead of time in
> the PC's environment).  It then displays the message for you.
>
> This simple model has several deficiencies.  When I log into a Unix system,
> or Compuserve, or Portal's "Online" service, and read my mail, it is often
> shown to me a page at a time.  This is so that I can read long messages
> more easily.  Then after each message I can delete it, save it, reply to
> it, etc.  If I do reply or if I want to create a new message it will drop
> me into a text editor to compose the message.
>
> The result is that the mail program you are running on the host computer
> may do some munging on the PGP message, like inserting "Press RETURN for
> to be filtered out before PGP could run on the file, or you would have to
> be able to suppress them when you read this message.

If we are talking about an off-line reader, this is solved by a trivial filter
routine.  If you want to do this on-line, well it might take time.

> Also, assuming we could capture the message and run PGP on it automatically,
> the resulting decrypted message will have to be saved and given a file
> name.  Then if the user wants to reply to it he is going to have to leave
> his terminal and run an editor.  (At least, that's what I have to do now.)

Why save the plaintext?  I keep it in cyphertext and decrypt it on demand.  And
when I want to reply, then I decrypt it, quote it and have the user edit that
file, which will presumably be re-encrypted.

> Plus, this only deals with the message-receiving problem, not the sending
> problem.

Actually, these are the same problems in different clothes.

> I'm not sure what the solution is.  Maybe the PC program needs to be more
> than a terminal program, and become more of a whole mail-processing
> program.  Maybe you should just download your mail file en masse from the
> host to your PC, pre-process it to replace (in place) the incoming encrypted
> messages with plaintext versions (annotated to show validated signatures),
> then run a PC program which will display one message at a time, let you
> reply, save, etc.  This way the decryptions are done before you even look
> at the mail file and incoming encrypted mail is treated on a first class
> basis (the same as other mail).
>
> Then for outgoing mail you'd like to be able to drop into a user-defined
> editor which is run with a command line causing his file to be saved to
> some temp file name.  Then we can automatically encrypt the outgoing mail
> for him based on the destination, add a remailer chain if requested, etc.
> Then he gives a command and all his replies and new mail are uploaded and
> sent.

These last 2 paragraphs describe almost exactly what my scripts do!

> This would be pretty tough to do since there are so many different ways
> of sending and receiving mail on host computers.  This would again have
> to be a customizable part of the program, where we could provide modules
> to deal with the common cases of Unix running "mail", elm, mh, etc., and
> perhaps some of the commercial services.  BBS's would ideally be handled
> as well.  Hackers could contribute scripts for supporting their favorite
> mail system.

I find that I need to be a bit more modular with my scripts so that I can call
a different module depending on which type of system I'm on...Working on it at
this moment.

| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| mdiehl@triton.unm.edu |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| mike.diehl@fido.org   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+

Thread