1993-07-11 - Re: REMAILER: really anon?

Header Data

From: Carlos Macedo Gomes <remail@tamsun.tamu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2077035db2bfb2f874fa4bf7331bc5469982d5c25b0b74b236b9c72a700cba0c
Message ID: <9307110524.AA25281@tamsun.tamu.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 10 Jul 93 22:24:09 PDT

Raw message

From: Carlos Macedo Gomes <remail@tamsun.tamu.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 93 22:24:09 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: REMAILER: really anon?

> If you can trace the origin (sender) of this message please send me mail
> personally rather than to the list.  I'm using my favorite remailer here
> and I want to make sure it's working right.
[stuff deleted]
> My main curiosity in this quest is to determine what each header will look
> like when the mail is recieved.  I think this is important in determining
> which remailer to use.
[stuff deleted]

12: remail@tamsun.tamu.edu

> From: remail@tamsun.tamu.edu
> Remailed-By: Anonymous <remail@tamsun.tamu.edu>

>   (5.65b/IDA-1.4.3 for you@yourhost); Tue, 6 Jul 93 04:15:57 -0500
>
> you@yourhost = your address! ...really!
>
> 13: remail@tamaix.tamu.edu
>
> From: remail@tamsun.tamu.edu
> Remailed-By: Anonymous <remail@tamsun.tamu.edu>

The remailed email from tamsun and tamaix have the same format, but you have
interpreted the headers incorrectly.  Please note that you@yourhost mentioned
above is not the sender's address but rather the recipients address.  You might
have been confused by this if you were sending and reading from the same
account.  The mail from tamsun and tamaix IS anonymous.  Take a look at this
piece of the header for your message to the cypherpunks list:

  (5.65b/IDA-1.4.3 for cypherpunks@toad.com); Fri, 9 Jul 93 16:21:06 -0500

As you can see you@yourhost as you demarked in your message actually refers to
the recepient's address and not the sender's.  If I have misunderstood your
message, please excuse.  I just felt compelled to clear any doubts about the
anonymity of these two remailers.

Please feel free to reply to me personally if you'd like to get a close look at
the remailers.

ciao,
Carlos

--