1993-07-27 - Programmer pushes pen to proliferate privacy programs.

Header Data

From: Mike Johnson <exabyte!smtplink!mikej@uunet.UU.NET>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2fe92b5942afe1ee2dbdc006c038fd9d472cd9e2b7e36daea681730c61e4fff6
Message ID: <9307271656.A01357@smtplink.exabyte.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Jul 93 16:12:52 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Johnson <exabyte!smtplink!mikej@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 93 16:12:52 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Programmer pushes pen to proliferate privacy programs.

I'm writing a book on practical cryptography for programmers.  As
part of my research for this book, I'd like to know what you would
like to see (or not see) in such a book.  If you would like to help
me out by answering a few questions, I'd be grateful.  Only the
aggregate results will be published, but if you want to ensure
that your response is anonymous, please reply directly to me via
one or more cypherpunk remailers.

In your opinion, what are the three most important applications of
cryptography in the private sector (I'll leave military and diplomatic
stuff to the NSA)?

What programs do you currently use, if any, to encrypt data?

What encryption algorithms do you use?

Who are you most concerned about reading your private data without your
permission?

Do you use PGP?  If so, how do you think it could best be improved?

What computer platforms do you use?

What operating systems do you use?

What language(s) do you program in (ANSI C, K&R C, C++, Pascal, BASIC,
ASM, Ada, etc.)?

Mike Johnson       | Opinions expressed herein are mine, and come with no
mikej@exabyte.com  | warranty, expressed or implied.  PGP key on request.