1993-07-17 - Re: Names and Reputations

Header Data

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 31535f422a8f458ae3e8654e1369c8245a7b235976250e8d0dc2c9b58f0a65a8
Message ID: <9307170401.AA24295@netcom3.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Jul 93 21:03:15 PDT

Raw message

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 93 21:03:15 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Names and Reputations

J. Michael Diehl writes:

> This is a good point, but I believe that eventually, people will want to sign
> legal documents via pgp and such.  So being able to tie a pseudonym to a
> reputation to a public key to a REAL LIVE PERSON is very important.  I think

That is a good point too. Perhaps the laws and practices of Notary Publics
may serve for one degree of assurance. They commonly need to know who
is asking them to notarize something such as a will. I don't remember
how they do this.
I suppose that a Notary public should have a published public key that
she uses like her seal.

Thread