1993-07-30 - Re: TECH: encrypted computer?

Header Data

From: hnash@mason1.gmu.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 35aa0cb7d43fcc91623d13a37e56a2ef3cc869ccca35375896c708d89da35327
Message ID: <9307300306.AA20191@mason1.gmu.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Jul 93 20:07:19 PDT

Raw message

From: hnash@mason1.gmu.edu
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 93 20:07:19 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: TECH: encrypted computer?

Peter Baumbach wrote:
>I don't
>want the owner to be able to decrypt the executable and run
>that, he has to run it encrypted.

I've been thinking about this also.  I think your idea boils
down to an encoding for software which allows execution but not
modification.  This could be called a tamper-proof software
encoding.  Such an encoding would have all sorts of
applications.  For example:

- public key encryption (a public key is simply a tamper-proof
encoding of a private encryption algorithm).
- distribution of software with advertisements or credits
permanently attached.
- distribution of software that requires "fuel" consisting of
certificates signed by the manufacturer.
- computer viruses that utilize secret information.

It's clear that the state variables internal to the algorithm
must remain encrypted.  If any of the *original* state variables
were revealed, the algorithm could be inferred from changes to
these variables.  Therefore, tamper-proof software requires
processing of encrypted data.  The problem would be solved by a
computationally complete set of functions (ex: NAND) which could
produce encrypted output from encrypted input without revealing
decrypted input or output.  It's a simple problem, but as far as
I know it hasn't been solved.

I have tried to solve this problem in several different ways,
without much success.  I found one paper entitled "Processing
Encrypted Data" (comm. of ACM v.30 n.9 1987), which reported
some very rudimentary results, but which commented intriguingly:

"The Department of Defense has invested considerable efforts in
recent years in solving this problem ... but the results of this
efforts have not been made public."

 in founding a family or a state, or acquiring fame even, we are mortal;
 but in dealing with truth we are immortal, and need fear no change nor
 accident. --------------------------------- ][enry David Thoreau, 1850

Thread