1993-07-09 - PGP in emacs rmail

Header Data

From: Ciamac Moallemi <ciamac@hplms2.hpl.hp.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8cd61d837e47e71d4e726f1a9b1507ee74e7efab21adcd597009c33ef9acdd5f
Message ID: <9307090007.AA18726@cello.hpl.hp.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Jul 93 17:07:58 PDT

Raw message

From: Ciamac Moallemi <ciamac@hplms2.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 93 17:07:58 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PGP in emacs rmail

eichin> There's one mode (that I'm not going to post without asking the author
eichin> first) that uses terminal-mode... however, pgp-2.2 had a feature added
eichin> which should make it much easier to write one, namely it lets you
eichin> specify that a key gets stuffed in via a file descriptor -- so you run
eichin> pgp (using a pty, rather than a pipe), feed it the private key
eichin> password, then the file, and it spits back the text (and other info.)
eichin> I've been lazy, and haven't actually implemented it, but it's much
eichin> cleaner than terminal mode (since you're trusting emacs with your key
eichin> anyway, having it read the input isn't much of a problem, though I'd
eichin> suggest a "limit coredumpsize 0" first :-)

I wrote elisp code for vm that does this if anyone is interested.

Ciamac.

Thread