1993-07-23 - Re: PGP progress report

Header Data

From: markh@wimsey.bc.ca (Mark C. Henderson)
To: ““L. Detweiler”” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Message Hash: a27eb75e8344e2649460b71816a4f93f5223ce8fda37fce86d4c8432f3340482
Message ID: <m0oJCoR-0000XJC@vanbc.wimsey.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 19:30:15 PDT

Raw message

From: markh@wimsey.bc.ca (Mark C. Henderson)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 19:30:15 PDT
To: ""L. Detweiler"" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: PGP progress report

> PGP-RSAREF negotiations are plodding along with J. Berman of EFF as
> an intermediary. The developers are unsure of the reasons for the slow
> pace.  J. Bidzos is supposed to make a major public announcement on
> this avenue very soon.
This is good news.

I believe I've managed to overcome the legal obstacles to RSAREF+GNU
MP. This is of interest because PGP+RSAREF+GNU MP is actually
considerably faster than PGP on a number of platforms (at least Sun
Sparc, IBM RS6000, 80486 Linux).

Mark
(for those who are interested, overcoming the obstacles involved my
writing a public domain implementation of a subset of the
functionality of libgmp with the same interface. The subset is, in
fact, pretty much what you want to do RSA, LUC &c. My free code is
slower than GNU gmp, but it is functional. For more details, see the
last few weeks of gnu.misc.discuss).

--
Mark Henderson
markh@wimsey.bc.ca (personal account)