1993-07-15 - Re: PGP tutorial

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: wet!naga@ai.mit.edu (Peter Davidson)
Message Hash: b86503175451807efa57e0cf41340dfd70420657b86690b72684763d93fd335d
Message ID: <9307151349.AA05001@snark.shearson.com>
Reply To: <m0oGJst-0007IhC@wet.uucp>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-15 13:50:02 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 06:50:02 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 06:50:02 PDT
To: wet!naga@ai.mit.edu (Peter Davidson)
Subject: Re: PGP tutorial

Rather than pointing people to strange publications we've never heard
of written by authors without credentials, might I suggest...

1) The PGP docs themselves are very good and far better as a tutorial
   on cryptography than any of the "PGP tutorials" that have appeared
   in the fringe literature. They are also free.

2) Read a real text on cryptography. It isn't a childrens game. Its a
   real branch of math and computer science, and really bright people
   devote their lives to it. If you wanted to learn about medicine,
   would you pick up a professional medical text, or something written
   in a 'zine by people you hadn't heard of?

Perry

Peter Davidson says:

> >Date: 14 Jul 93 19:50:26 EDT
> >From: Michael Glazer <72440.2236@CompuServe.COM>
> >Subject: PGP
> >
> >Folks,
> >
> >    I'm trying to learn more about practical cryptography in general
> >    and PGP and similar programs in particular.  Any advice?
>
> @article{Nathan92,
>    author = {Paco Xander Nathan},
>    journal = {Fringeware Review},
>    month = {July},
>    number = {1},
>    pages = {17--18},
>    title = {Tutorial: PGP},
>    volume = {1},
>    year = {1992}
>
> Fringeware Review is available for $3.50 from
> Fringeware Inc., P. O. Box 49921, Austin, TX 78765
> (512-477-1366, fringeware@wixer.bga.com)
>
> This issue also has articles on inter-experiential snorkeling,
> cruzin' the internet, email lists, tom jennings, the abolition
> of work, mind control, cyborganics, melt-o-media and even cypherpunx.

Thread