1993-07-24 - Re: Macpgp 2.2

Header Data

From: Paul Goggin <chaos@aql.gatech.edu>
To: fnerd@smds.com
Message Hash: ba242b5040081d4942ecbce0a716d7ffd43ac913fc157d7ff3a7e3ddec043e9d
Message ID: <9307240051.AA29998@toad.com>
Reply To: <9307232314.AA09474@smds.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-24 00:52:16 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 17:52:16 PDT

Raw message

From: Paul Goggin <chaos@aql.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 17:52:16 PDT
To: fnerd@smds.com
Subject: Re: Macpgp 2.2

fnerd formulates:

>> However, I have the prog
>> available here at aql.gatech.edu /pub/cypherpunks/pgp/binaries in cpt.hqx
>> format. The source code for gzip is also available in /pub.

>Thanks, but
>       a) BINARIES?
>       b) who are these binaries PGP-signed by?
>       c) what program do I use to verify the signature(s)?

If you look in this directory you will find pgp sigs for the files by the
uploading individuals. I do not have access to every type of computer, thus
I queried on cypherpunks approximately 5 weeks (I think) for binary submissions.
The unix versions have individual sigs as you can see, as to the dos, this is
the original shipping material, I have not looked inside since I rely on Unix
myself. The Mac version was picked up from soda.berkeley.edu, as I understand
it sigs are included within the compactor pro archive. The os2 version is
in the same boat as dos. As for the amiga version, I am at a loss I do not
have access to an amiga, but viewing the archive a signature is apparently not
attached. I will try to find out who I received the file from as I currently
do not remember. I would like everyones opinion though. I thought that offering
binaries from sources I considered secure was a good idea. I understand the
inherent danger in not compiling the source yourself, but.... not everyone
knows how to compile. What is the list's opinion. Is this a bad idea? Improper?

Paul
--
R  O    All Comments Copyright by  | Technofetisht
 A  N     Paul S. Goggin (1993)    | Cypher, Cyber, Chaos

Thread