1993-07-30 - Re: Tracing Cash

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: Eric Blossom <eb@srlr14.sr.hp.com>
Message Hash: bced8d1c6b58fcbdb7d68953b28fbf15446b018b0bacd31eda65e06abade3499
Message ID: <9307302021.AA02027@toxicwaste.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
Reply To: <9307301948.AA00433@srlr14.sr.hp.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-30 20:24:06 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 30 Jul 93 13:24:06 PDT

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 93 13:24:06 PDT
To: Eric Blossom <eb@srlr14.sr.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Tracing Cash

> The few $50 and $100 bills I've looked at over the past year or so
> have had a light colored vertical stripe on them that was slightly raised
> above the surface of the paper and had *small* numbers on it.
>
> Seems like it was designed to make counterfeiting harder and money
> easier to trace.

20 dollar bills have them, too.  Actually, all they say on them is "US
20 dollars", or something similar on the 50 and 100's.  They are to
prevent counterfeiting because you can just hold a bill up to the
light and see this bar on it.  It does not have any serial information
on it, so I doubt that it eases the tracing of money.

-derek

Thread