1993-07-20 - Re: AP Story

Header Data

From: elee9sf@Menudo.UH.EDU
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c025ac3d00dafe1a623c1698c4eade2e45c9091c7e34ead2f8483c20b48f2634
Message ID: <199307201338.AA23202@Menudo.UH.EDU>
Reply To: <9307192115.AA15865@bucrf4.bu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-20 13:39:15 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Jul 93 06:39:15 PDT

Raw message

From: elee9sf@Menudo.UH.EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 93 06:39:15 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: AP Story

> > He should've used PGP!
>
> since they had his computer, they had his PUBKEY and SECKEY files...
> and more than likely his pass phrase in simple encryption somewhere in
> his files...(fairly easy to break simple encryptions...like CRYPT
> command on unix...)
>
> Don't you think?

I apologize if this appears twice; I sent out a reply late last night
but it hasn't shown up yet.  And I can't remember if I sent it to the
list or to the author...

Okay, it would be incredible oversight on his part to "simple encrypt"
his passphrase and leave it on his computer!  It would be even worse
if he put his passphrase in config.txt.

But, he could have used "pgp -c" and IDEA encrypted his files, thus
rendering pubring.pgp and secring.pgp useless information.

So, he shouldn've used PGP!

| Karl L. Barrus                    |
| elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu             | <- preferred address
| barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu (NeXTMail) |