1993-07-12 - security vs. PINE

Header Data

From: jet@nas.nasa.gov (J. Eric Townsend)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d6c26daae36d1a20db315d98bdf6e43cfc4d8db58b25a2d3e96fc6eea0a286e9
Message ID: <9307120008.AA20041@boxer.nas.nasa.gov>
Reply To: <Pine.3.05.9307111733.A26652-a100000@eris.cs.umb.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-12 00:09:04 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Jul 93 17:09:04 PDT

Raw message

From: jet@nas.nasa.gov (J. Eric Townsend)
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 93 17:09:04 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: security vs. PINE

me writes:
 > to the SMTP server _directly_, bypassing sendmail (and its security checks).
[...]
 >  Coming down the pike though, I see SMTP, maybe even NNTP protocols being
 > secured (check out the magazine someone mentioned earlier: INFO-SECURITY.
 > You just have to fill out a bingo card to get it, Write:INFO-SECURITY NEWS
 > 498 Concord St, Framingham MA 01701-2357). If that happens, the days of EZ
 > phreaking are over.....

I think that avoiding security avoids the real problem.

Many gov't agencies are swinging away from wide open SMTP in an effort
to find something that has security and authentication.  Having some
boffo mailer that bypasses sendmail does no good in such a case.

Thread