1993-07-23 - Re: Macpgp 2.3

Header Data

From: lefty@apple.com (Lefty)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d8ade3a3a4d6424cfe6060ef3af0616ca5b23ff30570622ef8a2ebebbb635ff7
Message ID: <9307231533.AA10180@internal.apple.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 09:05:37 PDT

Raw message

From: lefty@apple.com (Lefty)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 09:05:37 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Macpgp 2.3

>I just fetched macpgp 2.3 from soda, and wound up with a file ending in
>the suffix "gz". This is a new one on me, and I don't know how to decode
>it. Can anybody inform me? Inside whatever it is is a binhexed compactor
>file, and I can deal with those formats, but the outside wrapper defies
>every decompressing utility I've got.

It's compressed with the gnu utility gzip, as Tim May and Paul Goggin have
pointed out.

However, as they failed to mention, soda at least will decompress .gz files
on the fly.  If you want to pull down the file "xxxx.yyyy.gz", issue the
command "get xxxx.yyyy" (i.e. leave off the .gz suffix) and soda will unzip
it for you as it ftp's it down.

--
Lefty (lefty@apple.com)

Thread