1993-07-19 - Re: Diffie-Hellman Weakness Weakness

Header Data

From: smb@research.att.com
To: jpp@markv.com
Message Hash: fca7fe007f8327eb4efaaa6dad9ba679fc7158845c7500345ea73e25f2a25f53
Message ID: <9307190420.AA18807@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Jul 93 21:23:53 PDT

Raw message

From: smb@research.att.com
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 93 21:23:53 PDT
To: jpp@markv.com
Subject: Re: Diffie-Hellman Weakness Weakness

	   If you compare the digital interceptor, to the voice interceptor,
	 fairly, you will see they are in equally strong positions.

	   When I am phoneing a person I know, I am automatically checking the
	 `signature' of their voice.  The other party on the line might be able
	 to convince me they have a cold, but I hope I will have enough wisdom
	 to postpone discussing the March 15th assassination plot untill the
	 cold clears up.

	   So we should compare a voice interceptor on a channel where the two
	 people don't know each other's voice to the unsigned digital
	 interceptor.  In this case, the interceptor can claim to one party to
	 be the other party, and remain undetected.  This is the Diffe-Helman
	 weakness.

	   Alternatively we should compare the voice interceptor on a channel
	 where the two people do know each other's voice to the signed digital
	 interceptor.  In this case, the interceptor will either be detected
	 should some minimal authentication and verification be tried, or the
	 interceptor will be unable to even listen in.  The weakness remains
	 here, but it has been patched over with authentication, and signed
	 verification of the channel key.  This is the Diffe-Helman weakness
	 weakness.

	   The (potential) interceptor is the reason why we must be so very
	 carefull when validating other people's public keys.  I know there is
	 no interceptor between me and the people who's keys I sign.  If I can
	 be sure of no interceptors between one of them, and the person I wish
	 to speak to, then I will be able to establish a secure channel.

The AT&T Telephone Security Device (you know, the beast with the Clipper
chip...) has a display that shows a few digits of a hash of the key.
Each party reads off some of it to the other; the idea is that an
intruder won't be able to spoof a voice in real-time.

For data connections, have a look at

@article{interlock,
   author = {Ronald L. Rivest and Adi Shamir},
   journal = {Communications of the ACM},
   number = {4},
   pages = {393--395},
   title = {How to Expose an Eavesdropper},
   volume = {27},
   year = {1984}
}

The idea is to send half of an encrypted block.  You then await a
half-block from the far side, at which point you send your other
half, and listen for the far side's other half.  The idea is that
since one can't decrypt a half-block, the intruder in the middle
can't send a fraudulent one.

Depending on how this scheme (known as the ``Interlock Protocol'')
is used, it may be vulnerable to attack.  Davies and Price, in their
(excellent) book ``Security for Computer Networks'', suggest sending
passwords that way.  But Mike Merritt and I showed how to attack
that scheme under certain circumstances.  (Details to appear in
IEEE Transactions on Information Theory.)

		--Steve Bellovin

Thread