1993-07-06 - Re: Complete ignorance of any sort of reality on May’s part (was We are

Header Data

From: Edward J OConnell <ejo@world.std.com>
To: “J. Eric Townsend” <jet@netcom.com>
Message Hash: ff1e59ad400dde4497804dbe5fb5da10adfdd44ccfb43364c71e420e80a5d3ef
Message ID: <Pine.3.07.9307061600.A24452-b100000@world.std.com>
Reply To: <9307061947.AA17712@netcom.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-07-06 20:19:44 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Jul 93 13:19:44 PDT

Raw message

From: Edward J OConnell <ejo@world.std.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 93 13:19:44 PDT
To: "J. Eric Townsend" <jet@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Complete ignorance of any sort of reality on May's part (was We are

Yeah, I heard that she had to do some gymnastics to explain how gay male
porn degrades women, too. ;-)

Is this true, or am I also a homophobe? ;-)

I hate Dworkins arguments. There are plenty of pro porn
lesbians/feminists. At least, I've read stuff by several, (bright/Annie
sprinkle, etc) and I've read some stuff by various porn stars that call
themselves feminists... Identifying feminism with censorship annoys me...I
wish I had some data on how many women who call themselves feminists are
pro censorship... if its the majority, I guess I'd have to allow it... ;-)

The problem for intellectuals is how to protect 'erotica' and somehow
squash 'pornography.' The difference is amusing to me. One mans erotica is
another womans porn...

All right thinking people would agree that the only thing that could be
wrong in the sex trade is coercion, be it of women or children or horses
or hamsters... I have some problem with the idea of the coerciveness of
the 'free market' though, as does Dworkin, so I guess we do have some
things in common... I'd like to know that no one is in the trade to pay
for a drug habit...of course, I think that drugs, like food and shelter
and air, should be free...

But I'm a nut. ;-)

Jay

Thread