1993-08-15 - Pagers

Header Data

From: greg@ideath.goldenbear.com (Greg Broiles)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 148f6b22d2446bdd025f5c79fea648ee16f8d2d61bd7a35a1e7a51e69409aa42
Message ID: <m1aB9B1w164w@ideath.goldenbear.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Aug 93 00:41:52 PDT

Raw message

From: greg@ideath.goldenbear.com (Greg Broiles)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 93 00:41:52 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Pagers

For what it's worth, my pager (a Motorola Bravo (Plus?) using a frequency of
152.240 MHz) cheerfully receives pages while inside my microwave. (No, I
didn't turn the microwave on. :) What that implies about the shielding
capabilites of my microwave (and the safety of its continued use) is beyond
my knowledge of RF and microwaves. I have some idea (please correct me if
I'm wrong here) that shielding effective for energy at one frequency (like
that of my pager) may be ineffective or less effective at another (like the
frequency of microwaves).

I'm intrigued (and alarmed) at the idea that it's possible to disable pagers
via remote control. While I'll admit that there's some wee utility in being
able to make sure nobody can use my pager if it's lost/stolen, it's
sounding, from the posts to the list, like it'd be possible to disable many
folks' pagers, were some miscreant so inclined. I know of pagers being used
by police, fire department, search & rescue, private/campus security, and
medical folks; if someone put some time into the "kill all the pagers"
thing, it could be pretty damaging.

Then again, knowing that, if I swiped somebody's pager, I'd probably just
remove the battery for a few days, and hopefully miss the "stop working now"
signal.

I'm curious, though, how long the battery would last - my pager has a single
AA battery, which lasts about a month. On average, a pager in the "find this
pager" mode would have a single half-discharged AA battery to power its
transmitter; and that transmitter would be sending its signal without
benefit of any sort of external antenna. My very limited knowledge of RF
propagation makes me think it'd be hard to get much range or duration under
those circumstances.

I'd be interested to see this thread move over to comp.dcom.telecom - there
might be more folks who know about pagers who could comment. This is
interesting, but frankly I'm still pretty skeptical.

--
Greg Broiles                            greg@goldenbear.com
Golden Bear Computer Consulting         +1 503 342 7982

Thread