1993-08-26 - Re: Source Code NOT available for ViaCrypt PGP

Header Data

From: mbriceno@aol.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1c5892cfeec0f6cba558129e7d9d4aa486a7f3460bce92ff17d9908e489ee5c9
Message ID: <9308260321.tn19240@aol.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 00:27:50 PDT

Raw message

From: mbriceno@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 00:27:50 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Source Code NOT available for ViaCrypt PGP

Simon Trask writes:

>  A) No source code will be available, due to the nature of the
> agreement between PKP and ViaCrypt.

So we are supposed to trust it sight unseen?
Why in the world would anyone buy an encryption program of questionable
security --which any program for we can not get the source is-- when we can
get a supposedy virtually identical program that we know is secure for free?

>  B) He is under 'a lot' of pressure to have a product 'on the shelves
> in under two months', and therefore the first release will be a
> MS-DOS version, then Macintosh, SVR4, SUN OS, and all of those unix
> versions, and that they will eventualy put out a windows product and
> start makeing improvements to the actual product.

I can't help but wonder if the guy is feeling other pressures besides time
pressures. Just thinking. I don't think that ViaCrypt will make much money of
the people on this list.

--Marc

Thread