1993-08-18 - Re: `Stalled’ Progress

Header Data

From: cme@ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2954634cd9414ed64675a7e83f9c4e34c7c991ebf6bdba10e41883c46a6dce49
Message ID: <9308181557.ZM29483@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>
Reply To: <9308172302.AA14826@snark.lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-18 20:00:42 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 13:00:42 PDT

Raw message

From: cme@ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 13:00:42 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: `Stalled' Progress

On Aug 17,  7:02pm, "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> Subject: Re: `Stalled' Progress
>
> If we act as though we are shady, we will only make it easier to
> repress us.

Amen!

I enjoy being shady at times - and certainly did in my
youth (something I cling to with my fingernails, now :-).

However, the giverment is trying to do something here which is an affront
to perfectly dull, ordinary people (like the Republicans for whom I work)
and Cypherpunks are doing something to fight against such reprehensible
behavior.

For this fight against Skipjack, Clipper and ITAR, I see no reason to
act like an underground organization.

In the above-ground fight, of course, it's interesting to speculate about
what the underground would do if Clinton's Cops were to try to clamp down.
That can be good information to bring to the public.  Then again, if it's
scary enough (like the V.Voice article, perhaps), maybe it could drive
the voting public into the loving arms of the FBI.

 - Carl

Thread