1993-08-29 - Re: Free Electronic Cash

Header Data

From: thug@phantom.com (Murdering Thug)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 348b23cdcc2bd1e2f37d720b16e7be8fbfca4e5a2a68a6f20014f5597528c2e0
Message ID: <m0oWf80-0009GSC@mindvox.phantom.com>
Reply To: <199308281808.AA13416@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-29 05:16:11 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Aug 93 22:16:11 PDT

Raw message

From: thug@phantom.com (Murdering Thug)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 93 22:16:11 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Free Electronic Cash

> Western Union Phone Cards (tm) are available from any agent in $5, $10,
> $20, and $50 denominations.  They can be (must be) purchased for cash.  I
> have no idea whether Western Union saves the ANI info of incoming calls
> and cross indexes it with the outgoing number and the "account" number.

If you don't want your number being passed via ANI to the 800 number owner
and don't want it to appear on their monthly 800 bill statement, simply
use your local "0" operator to place the 1-800 call for you, it's free.
Simply state "Operator, I'm having problems dailing this call..etc.."
Readers of comp.dcom.telecom and 2600 magazine already know about this
neat little trick.  You can prove it to yourself by calling Full
Disclosure's 800 ANI Demo line (800-235-1414) first without using an
operator, and then with an operator and compare the results.

If you call Dial-A-Mattress (1-800-MATTRESS) with your ANI blocked they
will get crazy on you and hang up.  They are so used to seeing your number
on their screen, that when they can't, they go berzerk.  The reason they
have live ANI is because apparently they are a big target for pranksters
(pranksters ordering mattresses to other peoples houses instead of pizzas,
like the pranksters of years past).

> Michael Elansky Defense Fund
> 25 Maiden Lane
> West Hartford, CT 06117

I just sent $10 cash to them.  Better them than the corrupt EFF which
has been accepting kickbacks/bribes from AT&T and Pac Bell. Speaking of
which, has anyone bothered to contact the EFF/CPSR/ACLU about this case?
It seems like a perfect 1st Ammendment issue, and I would personally love
to see the pigs who raided Mr. Elansky lose their jobs because of these
outrageous civil rights violations.

Thug

Thread