1993-08-12 - ANONYMOUS CONTACT SERVICE

Header Data

From: hfinney@shell.portal.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5b02286cadcb047b4f9df93a53c8759e1fcd13c17f454d3149513bedf2c235c4
Message ID: <9308121608.AA03468@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Aug 93 09:18:12 PDT

Raw message

From: hfinney@shell.portal.com
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 93 09:18:12 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: ANONYMOUS CONTACT SERVICE

From: Warren Keith Russell <keru@cpu.us.dynix.com>
> I received a message from System Daemon telling me that I had sent a
> message using the anonymous contact service, allocating a code name, and
> explaining how I can be reached anonymously.

A few months ago, someone subscribed to the list through the Penet service,
and it ended up revealing the Penet aliases of everyone who posted.  Each
post was delivered to that subscriber marked as being from the Penet alias
corresponding to the poster.  All it took was a parallel non-Penet subscription
to break the anonymity provided by Penet.

Has this now happened again?

At the time, there was some discussion about using "an..." versus "na..."
forms of the Penet aliases, one of which would avoid this revelation.  Has
that been taken care of?

Hal Finney
hfinney@shell.portal.com

Thread