1993-08-14 - Re: birth of Software Patent Institute

Header Data

From: danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Dan Odom)
To: ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu (L. Detweiler)
Message Hash: 5ba1ce4153bc5eebab7fb6dc238ec499a8cfb0891c67eecfea57ce0758831a21
Message ID: <9308141628.AA12770@matt.ksu.ksu.edu>
Reply To: <9308110513.AA07049@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-14 16:31:42 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Aug 93 09:31:42 PDT

Raw message

From: danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Dan Odom)
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 93 09:31:42 PDT
To: ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu (L. Detweiler)
Subject: Re: birth of Software Patent Institute

L. Detweiler Said:

> Don't know anything about this, but it's a definite Cypherpunk cause...
> the first question to ask would be whether they're in touch with LPF at all.

I don't know if this is what you were asking, but:

The LPF is very strongly against the SPI, and requests that people
refrain from providing it with ANY information that might assist it in
building a database containing software patent information.  This
database, whatever its intended use may be, can assist
leeches^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hlawyers in building bulletproof software patents
by making information on prior art available to them.  It will have a
user interface in the same style as LEXIS/NEXUS (sp?), and that
suggests that it is inteded for the lawyers rather than for us (no
offense intended to Mike).

--
Dan Odom
danodom@matt.ksu.ksu.edu -- Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS