1993-08-26 - E-trade opinions (fwd)

Header Data

From: remail@tamsun.tamu.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6768d9587b679764840bf5e969baf255684701e5db9c6b1037cf7040c16967cf
Message ID: <9308261003.AA12504@tamsun.tamu.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 03:05:44 PDT

Raw message

From: remail@tamsun.tamu.edu
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 03:05:44 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: E-trade opinions (fwd)

Forwarded from misc.invest:

In article <476@complex.complex.is> frisk@complex.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:

>Do you ever thing we will see something like E-trade on the Internet ?

They tell me that the Internet is not secure, so you would risk having
your password compromised.  But, yes, I assume that this will come
eventually.

>I would really like to see a service I could connect to using Telnet...as the
>services that are currently available are impractical for me - AOL is totally
>out of the question, as connecting to them would involve an international
>phone call, and CompuServe would require going through the X.25 network,
>which is not cheap either....I already pay around $7000/year for decent
>Internet access, and don't want to double that by using X.25

I have been told that one can telnet to compuserve.com, but when
I tried it I got Unknown host.