1993-08-19 - Re: network parallel decryption amateur style

Header Data

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6ef083ac3f915aacbcb123339dd8d47798540ec413a398632b203cc04c2dec9d
Message ID: <9308191010.AA10142@crypto.com>
Reply To: <9308190414.AA00586@alumni.cco.caltech.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-19 10:25:59 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Aug 93 03:25:59 PDT

Raw message

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 93 03:25:59 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: network parallel decryption amateur style

>Recent postings have gotten me to thinking:  If we wrote a
>easily portable UNIX program to decrypt DES in parallel across
>our many machines, how fast could we go?

Using the fastest software DES implementation I know of, optimized for
fast single-bit key change, it would take about a million SparcStation-years
(at 100% utilization) to do an exhaustive DES search.

Even assuming a order of magnitude faster than that (from a better
implementation or faster common workstation hardware), that's still
an awful lot of Sparc-years you'd have to get "the net" to donate.

-matt

Thread