1993-08-13 - Making the World Safe for

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 72a77f6b466d94eeed6ead7c49d631f926980abbb1fcd0a3b5553aa7eb880321
Message ID: <199308131603.AA27038@panix.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 09:12:09 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 09:12:09 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Making the World Safe for

To: cypherpunks@toad.com

H>As another example, suppose the government banned non-Clipper
H>cryptography.
H>Despite the brave comments of some, I think it would be very hard
H>to overcome such a ban.

H>My main point is that we cannot rely on the technology to save us.  A
H>concerted government effort could, in my opinion, stifle the growth of
H>individual liberties that cryptography may offer.  Clipper is just one
H>battle in this longer war.  We can't afford to fall victim to a smug
H>confidence that victory will inevitably be ours.  If we get to the
H>point
H>that steganography is the only way to communicate privately, we will
H>have
H>lost.
H>
H>Hal Finney
H>hfinney@shell.portal.com

Hal, the point is that the government actions you fear are politically
unlikely and would be limited to one nation in any case.  Par example -
humorous letter to the editor in today's NYT from someone I'll call
"Clueless in New Jersey."  He promotes the idea of a 1% tax on the markets
for currencies and derivatives (because they are volitile, unproductive
and hurt governments).  Even before the passage of such a tax, the
currency traders would have relocated themselves (physically or virtually)
to an untaxed location.

They nice thing about the modern communications environment is not strong
crypto, steganography, or anonymous networks (though these are fun) it is
the ability to randomie your physical location while still living as full
and productive life as you used to live when tied down to one spot.  The
multiplying power of the new technologies also llows you to "run a Fortune
500 corporation" from your back pocket as informal work groups form and
disband as needed.

Crackdowns by a single government will just speed up the process of people
becoming Permanent Tourists (PTs).  The control problems experienced by
modern States do not grow out strong crypto (which is not yet deployed)
but out of the growing relative power of individuals.
Power=Choice=Control.  If we have power (the ability to jet anywhere on
earth at the speed of sound for 1 or 3 week's average salary) we can make
choices and control ourselves.  If we control ourselves others lose
control over us.

The individual's natural organiational superiority over larger entities
(my right hand rarely wheels on in to federal court to force me to file an
environmental impact statement before defecation) when enhanced by modern
technology weakens those less organied institutions.

Remember laws are *not* self-enforcing.  The success of their legal regime
depends upon obedience by the populace.  Does anyone out there see
obedience and deference *increasing*?  I don't.  If disobedience keeps
increasing, at some point the rules will be meaningless.

Duncan Frissell

November 10th 1989 - Berlin Wall - Death for unauthorized crossing
November 11th 1989 - No Berlin Wall
Sic semper tyrannis - "What a Difference a Day Makes"

--- WinQwk 2.0b#0

Thread