1993-08-02 - Re: Encrypted BBS?

Header Data

From: cme@ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison)
To: jersmit@eis.calstate.edu
Message Hash: 8040529c923f4d8c5ceddea59ed6ccd9a13b3737ac6e3c6fd462b58d3a76301f
Message ID: <9308021400.AA11508@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 2 Aug 93 07:01:29 PDT

Raw message

From: cme@ellisun.sw.stratus.com (Carl Ellison)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 93 07:01:29 PDT
To: jersmit@eis.calstate.edu
Subject: Re:  Encrypted BBS?

>Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1993 16:11:13 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Jeremy R. Smith" <jersmit@eis.calstate.edu>
>Subject: Encrypted BBS?

>	Would it be at all possible, given today's present state of
>cryptography, to run a bbs in a totally encrypted form?  If so, are there
>any software packages out there that accomplish this at some level?

We did this about 8 years ago at E&S using DEC VMS NOTES.  We used a
plain vanilla secret key algorithm and a key shared by all legitimate
members of the group.  We could do it today -- but why bother?  If you
have a key that widespread, it's effectively certain that a "wrong person"
(however you define him/her) will have a copy of the key.

Thread