1993-08-30 - Re: Another BBS Seizure in Hartford

Header Data

From: “Reply to: hahn@lds.loral.com” <HAHN@lds.loral.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 98003ec48145ed652206daa476055b8fc7bb7467235432dadf2c1231ed53b083
Message ID: <930830165241.28e3@lds.loral.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 30 Aug 93 13:56:25 PDT

Raw message

From: "Reply to: hahn@lds.loral.com" <HAHN@lds.loral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 93 13:56:25 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Another BBS Seizure in Hartford

So this fellow was arrested because one of his BBS clients posted the
bomb recipes on his BBS?  This makes for a viable means of destroying
somebody else's means of info distribution.

Say XYZ-BBS attracts clients who are interested in some political
viewpoint that I oppose.  I would subscribe, pretending to share their
interests, then post bomb recipes.  I could facilitate my treachery
even further by making a call to the appropriate authorities, warning
them of a political terrorism conspiracy.  XYZ-BBS is destroyed.  If
I then inform the press, I can also publicly impeach the entire group.

BTW, you don't need _The Anarchist's Cookbook_ to make a bomb.  I have
a US Gubment (DOD special forces) book that provides enough recipes
to produce mountains of mayhem.  And you can find most of the materials
you need in stores that would be present in any small town.  What law
would it violate to post what the gubment has already published?
__
|         (V)              |  "Tiger gotta hunt.  Bird gotta fly.
|   (^    (`>              |   Man gotta sit and wonder why, why, why.
|  ((\\__/ )               |   Tiger gotta sleep.  Bird gotta land.
|  (\\<   )   der Nethahn  |   Man gotta tell himself he understand."
|     ( /                  |                Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Thread