1993-08-30 - Re: AT&T Home Security Pl

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 98c27ef1467410228fda8c5e4d68e62e2285329c73a7bce4d63464e2fb18f048
Message ID: <199308300109.AA09976@panix.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Aug 93 18:13:34 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 93 18:13:34 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: AT&T Home Security Pl

To: cypherpunks@toad.com

D >Anyway the scary part is that her university lists both *residence*
D >phone and address for all students in their phone directory services.
D >She said that she had tried to get unlisted but that university
D >policy *forbade* that, so she was stuck with being listed. (Yes, this
D >is a U.S. university.)
D >
D >That's the sort of policy that ought to be prevented by law. Even
D >non-deadly stalkers can be a serious nuisance.

D >	Doug

Haven't you people ever heard of mail receiving services and voice mail?
When people want to violate your privacy by asking questions, give them
what they want but make sure it's meaningless.  When people ask *me*
address and phone number as they seem to do every week or so, I just give
them my voice mail and mail drop.  ($20/month combined cost NYC.)

No laws required.

Duncan Frissell

ATMs, Contracting Out,  Digital Switching, Downsizing, EDI, Fax, Fedex,
Home Workers, Internet, Just In Time, Leasing, Mail Receiving, Quants,
Securitization, Temps, Voice Mail.

- Not as sexy as Tim May's signature line but just as important.

---
 ~ WinQwk 2.0b#0 ~ Unregistered Evaluation Copy

Thread