1993-08-18 - Re: your mail

Header Data

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
To: koontzd@lrcs.loral.com (David Koontz)
Message Hash: afa4828c4054cfeb86ca59981884d4e3b87a494a7e7edaa0cde2f62525255f2e
Message ID: <m0oSs7I-00022JC@khijol>
Reply To: <9308181747.AA17279@nebula.lrcs.loral.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-18 18:45:45 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 11:45:45 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 11:45:45 PDT
To: koontzd@lrcs.loral.com (David Koontz)
Subject: Re: your mail

> 1) I do not now, nor have I in the past advocated the violent overthrow
>    of any domestic government.  I am also opposed to the overthrow of
>    foreign governments on moral grounds.

I find it interesting that the United States was formed via the venue of
armed rebellion, but disqualifies anyone from public service who advocates
the same.  As a friend says, "the first thing the revolutionary government
does when they get in power is to ... ban all revolutions!"

It is also interesting to note that Jefferson, Paine, and others of the era
advocated, even supported, the right of the people to overthrow an oppressive
government, even their own.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG			erc@apple.com			510/659-9560
                            anon-2133@twwells.com