1993-08-28 - Re: AT&T Home Security Plus

Header Data

From: bruce@phantom.com (Bruce Fancher)
To: gg@well.sf.ca.us (George A. Gleason)
Message Hash: d38531025c6180e85ef908f88cad80c5df67986366d4027b7dac3cae34a07903
Message ID: <m0oWT8K-0009GSC@mindvox.phantom.com>
Reply To: <93Aug28.024813pdt.14474-3@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1993-08-28 16:26:06 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Aug 93 09:26:06 PDT

Raw message

From: bruce@phantom.com (Bruce Fancher)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 93 09:26:06 PDT
To: gg@well.sf.ca.us (George A. Gleason)
Subject: Re: AT&T Home Security Plus

> Today I got a most interesting call from a phone solicitor, who said that he
> was with AT&T and they were going to be hosting a demo of an AT&T home
> security system on my block and was I interested in attending.
>
> I told him about Clipper and asked if the AT&T home burglar alarms came
> along with backdoors allowing various govt agents and burglars to sneak in.
> Somehow the discussion shifts to PGP vs. Clipper, and the caller asks if
> I've got a handle (I told him my email address, which was Really Dumb) and
> then he asks if I'm into pirating or anything... of course I'm not, and said
> so....
>
> Somewhere along the line I entirely forgot to ask how the hell he got any
> idea what block I lived on, since my residence address information is
> something I take great pains to protect.
>
> And then it occurred to me... perhaps Something Else is also going on...?
> Like, "are you into pirating...?"  Hmmm...  I never even thought about that
> at the time, but if anyone else out there gets a call like this, it might be
> worth some follow-up research...
>
> -gg

	I used cold call for a home improvement company while I was in high
school.  Generally "Our salesman is going to be in your neighboorhood" is
just a way to get people to feel like they'd better look at the product now
rather than later.  It doesn't mean they know where you live.  However,
unless your number is unlisted it will probably be in the Coles directory
(along with such information as how long you've lived at that residence).
It sounds like an ordinary cold call.

Thread