1993-08-20 - Violent Revolution?

Header Data

From: nobody@alumni.cco.caltech.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e59fdc8679e697bc821229728fc9d46af4a5b733a44b16c4b6a2459277d60176
Message ID: <9308200824.AA23769@alumni.cco.caltech.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 01:30:53 PDT

Raw message

From: nobody@alumni.cco.caltech.edu
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 01:30:53 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Violent Revolution?

++> From: koontzd@lrcs.loral.com (David Koontz )

+ >Cypherpunks are providing the basis for long-range, (relatively) secure
+ >communication between those activists and thinkers who may have the
+ >power to bring down the State and restore the individual autonomy this
+ >nation was originally devised to foster.

++> As I understand it the Libertarian Party qualifies membership to
++> exclude any endorsement of violent overthrow of government.

1]  I didn't see that the writer said anything about Libertarians.
2]  I didn't get the impression that the writer was specifically calling
    for the violent overthrow of the government, only that he/she
    believed that actual violence _might_ eventually come.

++> While some
++> portion of those affected by this policy may well have gone
++> underground...

Of course, I cannot personally say with any accuracy, but I feel
strongly that a private ("underground," if you prefer) network of those
discussing radical options must exist as a direct result of more secure
communication.  I have no evidence of this, but it seems like such an
obvious and irresistable consequence that I can't picture it NOT
happening, especially considering the numbers of pissed-off people using
computer networks these days.

++> I don't  believe that cypherpunks as a committee of the
++> whole are willing or ready  to do so.

1]  I didn't get the impression that the writer was saying that
    Cypherpunks were part of any such conspiracy, if it even exists, but
    only that Cypherpunks tech aided their communications.
2]  I have also never been clear on how formal an organization
    Cypherpunks actually are - if they actually have a platform or a
    membership roster or secret handshakes or have turned the word
    "Cypherpunks" into a registered trademark with marketing licensed
    for logoed adjustable size baseball caps and childrens' lunchbox
    sets.  Is there sufficient officialness for the result of a nut with
    "CYPHERPUNKS!" on his chest in Magic Marker biting off Hillary
    Roddam's left thumb at a press conference to be the forfeiture of
    Tim May's personal fortune under RICO?  I wonder.

++> Then again as someone pointed out yesterday, cypherpunks aren't just
++> libertarians...

Whatever gave you the idea that they were?

++> Some
++> portion, however large of those receiving this mailing list, may not
++> agree with this political leaning and may not consider it germaine to
++> their participation.

Certainly true enough, but who claims to "speak" for cypherpunks anyway?

++> Avoiding the appearance of endorsing the violent overthrow of
++> government  is prudent policy for any organization.

Hell, yes.  If I were signing my name to stuff, I'd be as benightedly
pro-Statist in my posts as David Sternlight himself.

Thread