1993-08-01 - Re: Anon remailer to USENET gate bogus

Header Data

From: elee9sf@Menudo.UH.EDU
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f093c48dfba7907f99c273eefc8dcf726dcb0ff39b55da127c7fd74a7c481814
Message ID: <199308011634.AA13308@Menudo.UH.EDU>
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Aug 93 09:37:12 PDT

Raw message

From: elee9sf@Menudo.UH.EDU
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 93 09:37:12 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anon remailer to USENET gate bogus

> and yes, it seemed to work perfectly. My guess is that the usenet gateway
> at utexas refuses anon e-mail. Anyone got any other suggestions? I

This could very well be.  An associate of mine :-) discovered that
anonymous posts made via remailers concerning the student suspension
at UH (traffic on comp.admin.policy and alt.comp.acad-freedom.talk a
few weeks ago) stopped showing quite suddenly.

On the other hand, be advised that the gateway at UTexas doesn't post
to all groups - I tried posting to alt.security once, only to have the
post returned to me with a note "group renamed to comp.security.misc".

So if anonymous posts are filtered - how is it being done?  If it is
something simple like refusing posts from a username of nobody then
that can be fixed easily enough.  But it may block posts by taking
addresses from the list of remailers.

| Karl L. Barrus                    |
| elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu             | <- preferred address
| barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu (NeXTMail) |