1993-08-26 - Re: Commercial PGP: Verifying Trustworthiness

Header Data

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f4a9d8dc7dbd31add8d2a7850d48925f8b2efde08ef948dec60d4050d8b9f034
Message ID: <9308262215.AA29262@netcom4.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 15:15:49 PDT

Raw message

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 93 15:15:49 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Commercial PGP: Verifying Trustworthiness

peter honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu> says:
> pgp and viacrypt will always generate differnt outputs: pgp
> adds some pseudo-random stuff to the start of the file it is
> encrypting to ensure that a file encrypts differently each time.
This means that I am trusting the "pseudo-random" stuff not to be
some secrets that PGP has read from my disk. The only benefit
that I see to the pseudo-random stuff is to send the same message
to several people without revealing the fact that the messages are
the same except to those that can decode the messages.

Thread