1993-09-21 - Re: MISC: thought for the day

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (Bill_Stewart_HOY0021305)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 044ba5a216934a9f960820193e2bd66995852b51c3a47fb7c6be315a004e21c0
Message ID: <9309210458.AA08302@anchor.ho.att.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1993-09-21 05:46:23 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 22:46:23 PDT

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (Bill_Stewart_HOY002_1305)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 22:46:23 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: MISC: thought for the day

> 	  In Starfleet, all communications are encrypted automatically.
> 	 Although there is no honor in knowledge gained through stolen
> 	 transmissions, some of our enemies have no honor. A true Klingon
> 	 does not "sneak"-he shouts into the face of his enemy. But I have
> 	 seen many types of dishonor, and so I am prepared for it.
> 	                -Lieutenant Worf,chief of security, U.S.S.Enterprise
.... and of course
> 	``Gentlemen do not read each other's mail''.  Henry Stimson,

The classic Roman Republic policy on information from enemy traitors was
to accept it, use it, kick the enemy's butt, and then kill the traitor.
By the time of the Empire, haggling over price was a bit more flexible.
After all, if you're trying to protect your own city, winning is everything.
And if you're off trying to conquer other cities to increase the riches
and power of the generals who run your army, honor's not a concept you
want to over-analyze :-)   For more precise references, and less cynicism,
you'll need to contact my 8th grade Latin teacher...
				Pedantically,
# Bill Stewart    wcs@anchor.ho.att.com  +1-908-949-0705 Fax-4876
# AT&T Bell Labs, Room 4M-312, Crawfords Corner Rd, Holmdel, NJ  07733-3030

Thread